The Bible teaches that we should help the poor beyond simply providing the next meal or a place to sleep. We must also seek ways to lift the destitute out of poverty. We’ll talk with Mario Zandstra about that on this Faith and Finance.
- Mario Zandstra is the President and CEO of Family Legacy Missions International, a ministry focused entirely on helping Zambia’s orphans.
- On this program, Zandstra shares how the strategic approach of his ministry has changed through the years.
- FROM RELIEF TO DEVELOPMENT
- He said he came to realize that if you’re always in the relief business, you don't help people own their future. Over time, relief work can lead to dependence on third parties. That led FLMI to transition from a relief organization to more of a development organization, helping to set people up for a more prosperous future.
- FLMI now works to develop children, to provide them with an education, to disciple them with Christian discipleship, to teach them nutrition, provide medical care, help them and unpack their trauma.
- Rescue and relief are still part of the organization’s mission, but the goal is for that relief to be temporary.
- ZAMBIA’S DEPENDENCY
- Zambia is one of the poorest countries in the world. They only achieved their independence in 1964, just like South Korea did. They became independent. South Korea said we're going to take no government funding from other governments, we are going to make this happen on our own. But Zambia took money from the beginning.
- South Korea today has the fifth largest economy in the world and Zambia is still struggling on the bottom end of the spectrum. It’s a perpetuating problem.
- FMLI works to help children escape that cycle and become part of the solution; to learn how to be independent.
- To learn how you can help support the mission of this ministry, visit FamilyLegacy.com
On this program, Rob also answers listener questions:
- What is the best way to save and invest for the long term on behalf of a disabled adult child?
- When does it make sense to pull money out of retirement savings to pay off a mortgage?
- What is the purpose of an umbrella insurance policy and when might it make sense for you?
- Is it normal for a credit score to fluctuate for no apparent reason?
Remember, you can call in to ask your questions most days at (800) 525-7000. Also, visit our website at FaithFi.com where you can join the FaithFi Community, and give as we expand our outreach.