Christians are called to go into the world but not become part of it. That’s always a challenge, especially with investing. We’ll talk about faith-based investing today with Chris Meyer.
Chris Meyer is Manager of Stewardship Investing Advocacy and Research with Praxis Mutual Funds. Praxis is a faith-based family of mutual funds that has been around for over 26 years and prides itself on delivering real-world impact in support of Kingdom values.
- When many people think of integrating their values with their investments, their focus is usually screening out companies that don’t share our values. However, the Praxis approach clearly goes beyond screening. Meyer explains that Paxis believes screening is important, as a clear expression of the values Christians hold.
- But he says there are also other strategies beyond weeding certain companies out of your portfolio that can make a difference.
- One of those strategies is “shareholder advocacy.” The means engaging company to promote positive change. That could mean letter writing, filing sharehold resolutions, and dialogue with company management.
- Meyer says in most of Praxis’ corporate engagement, they collaborate with other faith-based investors and organizations. Praxis is a member of the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility, a member-based organization dedicated to shareholder advocacy. Meyer says that collaboration helps to multiply their impact.
- Praxis has been a part of engagement companies are a range of important issues including human trafficking, economic inequality, and creation care.
- For more information about the efforts of Praxis and its investment services, visit PraxisMutualFunds.com.
On this program, Rob also answers listener questions:
- What are I-bonds and are they a good investment?
- Is the The Monte Carlo retirement prediction method accurate, and is it a good way to plan for retirement?
Remember, you can call in to ask your questions most days at (800) 525-7000 or email them to Questions@MoneyWise.org. Also, visit our website at MoneyWise.org where you can connect with a MoneyWise Coach, join the MoneyWise Community, and even download the free MoneyWise app.